Mind and Body Forward: Small Steps, Healthier Choices. Don’t you love the ANCHOR Project’s theme for January 2016? Some amazing participants worked together to conceptualize this inspiring theme that feels just right for the start of a new year! This month is packed with activities focused on wellness in all its forms. We’re also excited to announce the start of Empower Hours on Thursdays and a new group! Read on for some highlights.
- New Group! – G.A.M.E.S.S., Tuesday 1/5, 12-2pm
The ANCHOR Projects’ Recovery Coach, Paul, will be leading a brand new group called G.A.M.E.S.S. in which participants will play a game and discuss how the strategies and tools used to succeed in the game can be applied to achieving goals in other areas of life. Count me in!
- New Empower Hours – Thursdays 2-4pm
In addition to our usual Tuesday and Wednesday hours, we’re now open for Empower Hours on Thursdays from 2-4. No more rushing out the door after BUOY, whew!! We’re excited for this opportunity to spend more time with participants and offer additional activities at ANCHOR.
- Participant-led Activities – Several participants have volunteered to lead awesome activities this month during Empower Hours (2-4pm)!
- Wednesday 1/6 – New Beginnings Workshop Part I
- Wednesday 1/13 – Fitness Class
- Thursday 1/14 – Massage Techniques for Relaxation
- Thursday 1/21 – Tai Chi
- Tuesday 1/26 – New Beginnings Workshop Part II
- Monthly Event – Authentic Movement Workshop, Thursday 1/28, 12-3:30pm @ Movement Culture (435 E 9th Street)
This month, our social event will be an Authentic Movement workshop led by Gigi Cestaro, instructor and founder of Spiral Journey School of Movement. This workshop will involve reflective writing exercises, mirror work, and body movement that are designed to build kinetic and emotional self-awareness while promoting mindfulness, stress reduction, healing, and overall wellness. ANCHOR Project staff had the opportunity to participate in a demo of this workshop last month and it was AWESOME!
RSVP is required for this event. Please talk to an ANCHOR Project staff person if you would like to participate. Transportation will be provided to and from Movement Culture.
- Other Events
Tuesday 1/19 – On-site HIV testing, flu shots, and AHCCCS enrollment information
- Representatives from SAAF and Walgreens will offer free and confidential HIV testing as well as flu shots at ANCHOR. ANCHOR staff will also provide an overview of AHCCCS enrollment.
Wednesday 1/27 – Tucson Street Count, Youth Point-in-Time Count, 2-5pm, location TBD
- The annual Point-in-Time Count is a way to ascertain the number of people experiencing homeless in Pima County on a given night. The information collected affects community funding and resources. This special event from 2-5pm is meant to ensure that youth experiencing homelessness are included in the count, so that funding will be properly allocated to support our community.
Questions? Give a call or text to 520.909.0754 or send us a message on Facebook. Want to get enrolled in the ANCHOR Project, or have a friend who may be interested? Fill out our online Interest Form.